Homemade laundry detergent is so super simple to make you will be asking yourself why you haven’t tried this before! Here’s how…
What you need
~ 1 bar Fels Naptha Soap
~ 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
~ 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
~ A large pot
~ 2 large containers…about a gallon each
~ A box grater or large knife
How to make it
1. Finely grate the Fels Naptha Soap. Put it in your pot.
2. Add water until your pot is about half full.
3. “Cook” the soap on medium heat until all of the bits of soap are completely dissolved.
4. Add the washing soda and borax. “Cook” again until completely dissolved. (Do not let this come to a boil! It will overflow your pot!!)
At this point I let the soap cool so I don’t burn myself when pouring into my containers.
5. Now it’s time to pour your soap into your containers. I use an old laundry detergent bottle and a ziplock storage container. Pour about half of your soap into each container.
6. Add water to container until it is about half full. (I don’t add it to my ziplock container until I’m ready to use that batch of soap.)
7. SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE!!! Then leave the soap alone overnight.
8. In the morning the soap will be very thick. This is how it is supposed to be! Shake the blob of soap to break it up a bit. Then add water until the container is almost full. Shake it again to ensure the soap is mixed well.
I use about 1/2 – 1 cup per load. It might seem like a lot but it’s so darn cheap I don’t care if I use a lot!